2016 Yamaha FJ-09
Stock Image: Matte Silver
Larson's Cycle Inc.
Most Versatile Sport Tourer
The most performance, versatility and value put into one motorcycle - the FJ-09 with its 3-cylnder engine dominates the competition.
- Stunning 3-cylinder Engine: 847cc liquid-cooled, in-line 3-cylinder, DOHC, 12-valve “Crossplane Crankshaft Concept” engine derived from the award winning FZ-09™. This engine combines advanced high tech components including YCC-T® and Yamaha D-Mode, with a crossplane concept crankshaft to deliver an exciting, torquey and quick-revving engine character.
- Advanced Engine Control: Yamaha Chip Controlled Throttle (YCC-T) is Yamaha’s exclusive ride-by-wire throttle system, derived from MotoGP® technology. YCC-T works in unison with the standard Traction Control System (TCS) to give the rider responsive throttle feel with the security of traction control for roads with less than ideal traction.
- Practicality Plus Performance: Touring amenities include a height-adjustable windshield, side fairing, adjustable riding position, 12V electrical outlet and a generous 4.8 gallon fuel tank. The FJ-09™ is ideal for the daily commute, short fun rides, or weekend getaways.
- Powerful, Controllable Brakes: Modern radial-mount four-piston front calipers squeeze 298mm rotors for exceptional stopping ability, while the anti-lock brake system (ABS) works to help prevent wheel lock during hard deceleration.
- Top Shelf Features: A modern and stylish LED headlight offers superior visibility and complements the FJ-09’s design. Multi-function dot matrix LCD instrument panel is designed to visually relay data to the rider quickly and clearly, including fuel consumption info and gear position.
- Ready to Travel: Slim-design hard bags, a Genuine Yamaha Accessory, provide storage convenience, as does an accessory top case.
- Stunning 3-cylinder Engine: 847cc liquid-cooled, in-line 3-cylinder, DOHC, 12-valve engine with fuel injection. This engine combines advanced high tech components including YCC-T and Yamaha D-Mode with a crossplane crankshaft concept to deliver an exciting, torquey and quick-revving engine character.
- Crossplane Crankshaft: This FJ-09 engine features Yamaha’s “Crossplane Crankshaft Concept” that provides linear torque development in response to the rider’s throttle input.
- Ride-by-Wire Throttle: The ride-by-wire Yamaha Chip Controlled Throttle (YCC-T) system senses the slightest throttle input by the rider, relays the data to the ECU which sends commands to a servo-motor actuator controlling the intake airflow volume.
- Selectable Engine Character: The FJ-09 is equipped with Yamaha D-MODE (or “Drive Mode”) variable throttle control system. The rider can choose at will from three throttle valve control maps (Standard Mode, “A” Mode, and “B” Mode) for different performance characteristics.
- Traction Control: Traction Control System (TCS) reduces rear wheel slip on wet surfaces or unpaved roads. The system detects rear wheel spin and reacts through combined control of the ignition timing, fuel injection volume and throttle opening (YCC-T).
- Plush, Controlled Suspension.: For excellent damping characteristics, the front suspension is an inverted fork with 41mm inner tubes with 5.4 inches of travel. The front suspension features adjustment for spring preload and rebound damping.
- Compact, Horizontal Monoshock: The rear suspension features a linked-type Monocross® shock. The shock is positioned below the seat and features an almost horizontal alignment. This unique positioning contributes to mass centralization and a slimmer body design. The rear suspension is also adjustable for spring preload and rebound damping.
- Powerful, Controllable Brakes: Front brakes consist of two floating 298mm discs with 4-piston calipers. The calipers are radial mounted for improved feel just like Yamaha’s race-winning supersport machines. The standard anti-lock brake system (ABS) works to help prevent wheel lock during hard deceleration for additional braking security.
- Extended Range: Large 4.8 gallon fuel tank with 44 miles per gallon means less frequent stops for fuel when on the open road.
- Strong, Lightweight Frame: Lightweight Controlled-Fill die cast aluminum frame and swingarm is used to reduce weight.
- Adjustable Ergonomics: The aluminum tapered handlebar is adjustable up to 10mm to accommodate different rider preferences, while the rider’s seat can be easily adjusted 0.6 inches up or down for additional legroom. An accessory low saddle is available, dropping the seat height by 1.25 inches, and the rear suspension height adjuster accessory brings the seat down an additional 9/16”.
- Complete Instrumentation: Multi-function digital instrument panel features speedometer, tachometer, fuel level and consumption, clock, gear indicator, eco indicator, D-MODE and TCS indicators.
- Adjustable Windscreen: The windscreen is height-adjustable to three positions at 15mm increments without the use of tools.
- Standard Centerstand: A centerstand is standard on the FJ-09 for added rider convenience when parking or doing maintenance.
- Power Port: A 12V electric outlet comes standard as an additional convenience, mounted adjacent to the instrument panel, and a second port can be added with Genuine Yamaha Accessories.
- Engine Type: 847cc liquid-cooled Inline 3-cylinder, DOHC; 12 valves
- Bore x Stroke: 78.0 mm x 59.1mm
- Compression Ratio: 11.5:1
- Fuel Delivery: Fuel injection with YCC-T
- Ignition: TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition
- Transmission: 6-speed; multi-plate wet clutch
- Final Drive: O-ring chain
- Suspension / Front: 41mm fork, adjustable preload and rebound damping; 5.4-in travel
- Suspension / Rear: Single shock, adjustable preload and rebound damping; 5.1-in travel
- Brakes / Front: Dual hydraulic disc, 298mm; ABS
- Brakes / Rear: Hydraulic disc, 245mm; ABS
- Tires / Front: 120/70ZR17
- Tires / Rear: 180/55ZR17
- L x W x H: 85.1 in. x 37.4 in. x 53.0 in. - 54.1 in.
- Seat Height: 33.3 in. or 33.9 in.
- Wheelbase: 56.7 in.
- Rake (Caster Angle): 24.0 deg.
- Trail: 3.9 in.
- Ground Clearance: 5.3 in.
- Fuel Capacity: 4.8 gal.
- Fuel Economy: 44 mpg
- Wet Weight: 463 lb. / CA model 465 lb.
- Warranty: 1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)
NOTES:Fuel economy estimates are based on US EPA exhaust emission certification data obtained by Yamaha. Your actual mileage will vary depending on road conditions, how you ride and maintain your vehicle, accessories, cargo and operator/passenger weight. Wet weight includes the vehicle with all standard equipment and all fluids, including oil, coolant (as applicable) and a full tank of fuel. It does not include the weight of options or accessories. Wet weight is useful in making real-world comparisons with other models.
- Engine Type
- Inline 3-cylinder, DOHC; 12 valves
- Bore and Stroke
- 78.0 mm x 59.1mm
- Compression Ratio
- Fuel System
- Fuel injection with YCC-T
- TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition
- Front Suspension
- 41mm fork, adjustable preload and rebound damping; 5.4-in travel
- Rear Suspension
- Single shock, adjustable preload and rebound damping; 5.1-in travel
- Front Brakes
- Dual hydraulic disc, 298mm; ABS
- Rear Brakes
- Hydraulic disc, 245mm; ABS
- Front Tire
- Rear Tire
- 56.7 in.
- Seat Height
- 33.3 in. or 33.9 in.
- 24.0 deg.
- 3.9 in.
- Fuel Capacity
- 4.8 gal.
- 44 mpg
- Dry Weight
- Curb Weight: 463 lb.
- 6-speed; multi-plate wet clutch
- Final Drive
- O-ring chain
- Raven, Matte Silver
- 1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)