2018 KTM 50 SX
The KTM 50 SX is a true KTM for young MX riders that are READY TO RACE. It is a genuine dirt bike that, like its bigger siblings, is produced with top-quality components. This makes the KTM 50 SX the first choice as a stepping stone into the world of MX or for the first racing step on the ladder. With the youngster in mind this package has an engine that delivers steady, controllable power, incorporating an automatic clutch that is ideal for novice riders. This model features revolutionary WP AER 35 front fork, fully adjustable rear suspension, ultra cool graphics and the ability to make going fast, fun.
- Engine: The modern, extremely compact 2-stroke engine fitted with an automatic clutch sets the standard in its class with improved power due to a new exhaust pipe. Thanks to the 3-shaft design, the crankshaft is close to the bike’s center of gravity. This does not just benefit the handling, but also allows for a flow-optimized intake angle into the reed valve – a prerequisite for maximum performance.
- Power Reduction Kit: For absolute beginners the engine power can be reduced to a moderate 5.5hp using a kit from the PowerParts catalog.
- Exhaust: A newly developed exhaust pipe provides a higher output and a smoother power delivery over the entire rev range, making the new 50 SX even more competitive than before.
- Cylinder: The high performance cylinder features a pressure controlled exhaust valve (PCEV) and provides an unrivaled performance within the highly competitive 50 cc class.
- Clutch: Developed by KTM, the centrifugal multi-disc automatic clutch provides manageable acceleration and makes riding this motorcycle the easiest thing in the world. It can be adjusted to the specific requirements of the track and the rider in minutes and without any special tools.
- Bodywork: The bodywork is derived from the full-size SX models and provides perfect ergonomics with well thought-out contact points for the rider and maximum freedom of movement. In addition, smart design solutions for the new front and rear fenders are prime examples of an intelligent design, which guarantees maximum stability through a well thought-out structure and mounting.
- Frame: The modern frame produced by WP Performance Systems is made of lightweight, high strength chromoly steel profiles and combines maximum longitudinal stiffness with optimum torsional rigidity. It guarantees easy handling and precise cornering, but also outstanding stability.
- Graphics: Derived from the full-size SX bikes, the graphic design makes the new 50 SX look even cooler. Its frame has a super rugged polymer coating in black.
- Handlebar: Made of high quality aluminum alloy, the handlebar offers top stability and leverage for smaller riders.
- Radiator: Like the big KTM bikes, the 50 SX has a liquid cooling system, which even cools the crankcase. Generously sized radiators ensure outstanding heat dissipation for high reliability, even under extremely heavy duty.
- Front Suspension: The new 50 SX is the first model in its class fitted with a modern, fully adjustable air fork: the AER 35, made by WP Suspension. Beside a massive weight reduction of 1.6 pounds, the newly developed upside-down front forks with 35mm tube diameter and 205mm of travel ensure outstanding comfort, damping characteristics and directional stability. Another main benefit for junior riders is that the air spring fitted in the left fork leg can be adjusted perfectly and simply to the rider’s weight just with an air fork pump.
- Rear Suspension: On the rear wheel a WP shock absorber linked directly to the swingarm provides excellent damping performance and is fully adjustable in order set the damping perfectly to rider’s preferences and track conditions. The rear wheel travel is 185mm.
- Wheels: Like the big KTM factory racers, the 50 SX has super lightweight, black anodized, aluminum rims providing highest strength and safety. The OEM knobbly MAXXIS tires grip superbly on any surface.
- Brakes: The KTM 50 SX is fitted with front and rear hydraulic brakes by Formula combined with lightweight Wave brake discs that are easy to control even for the youngest riders. This ensures the best deceleration and the highest standard in the mini class.
- Design: 1-cylinder, 2-stroke engine
- Displacement: 49 cm³
- Bore: 39.5 mm
- Stroke: 40 mm
- Starter: Kickstarter
- Transmission: Single-speed automatic
- Primary drive: 61:33
- Secondary gear ratio: 11:40
- Clutch: Centrifugal clutch (adjustable)
- EMS: Seletra 2p D36
- Engine Type
- 1-cylinder, 2-stroke engine
- 49 cm³
- Bore and Stroke
- 39.5 x 40 mm
- Single-speed automatic